August 12, 2014

Ikea Lamp Hack DIY Tutorial

I took this ordinary lamp that had been sitting by my daughter's bed for about a year, and decided to add a couple simple touches to it to turn it into a fabulous vintage piece.
 
This Lampan Table Lamp from Ikea costs $4.99 (that's right!!!). It comes in white, pink, and turquoise. I liked the simplicity of the white when I bought it. I didn't have any intentions of doing anything to the lamp, but it took me about a year for a light bulb (no pun intended) to come on.
 
source
 
source
 Supplies needed:
 
-Ikea Lampan table lamp
-E-6000 glue and/or hot glue gun (I used both)
-extra fabric, decorative items like washi tape, lace, pom pom fringe, etc.
 
That's it!
 
First Step:
I detached the lamp shade from the base (very easy, in fact it comes like that when you buy it). All I did was use the E-6000 glue around the top of the shade to attach the lace.
 
Second Step:
I used a hot glue gun to attach the pom pom fringe around the bottom of the shade. I applied hot glue directly to the lamp shade then carefully placed the fringe around it bit by bit. It was one long piece of pom pom fringe that I cut at the very end once I knew I had enough to cover the entire shade.

 
 
And voila! It totally transformed this $5 lamp into something so much cuter! Once I let the glue dry, I plugged it in to see what it looked like.
 
 
I love how it turned out. It's so dainty, vintage-looking, and fun in my daughter's bedroom. It no longer looks like a simple white lamp.
  
 
I experimented with adding washi tape to the rest of the lamp shade but decided against it, I liked the simple vintage look with the lace and pom pom fringe. 

 
 
The lace also gives it a cool look when it's dark in the room and the light's on. Definitely a cozy addition to reading time before bed!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...