1. Don't go expecting to find a lot of things, many times we don't find anything, but have an open mind!
2. We don't go often to thrift stores, but when we do, sometimes we score big!
3. I buy a lot of my kids' clothes at thrift stores. Most clothes have been previously worn a minimal amount of times, if at all. I don't buy clothes that are stained or torn, only ones that look basically brand new. I always wash my thrift store clothing finds before my kids wear them.
4. Ask yourself, do I really need this? Sure, it's all pretty cheap stuff, but somebody else gave it away! That means unless you really need it or have a use for it immediately, don't buy it and save some $$$!
5. Look at the books! Many board books are in great condition, as well as holiday books. We've bought many children's books at thrift stores!
6. Look at items with a different view, meaning, could you re-purpose it somehow? Many things I buy I end up spray painting to give it new life and a different look.