February 6, 2012

DIY Yarn-Wrapped Crafts



I've seen these yarn-wrapped letters all over the place lately. So I decided to try making my own. It was very easy. You can find a ton of tutorials online by just googling "yarn-wrapped letters" (perhaps that's what brought you here!). 


All you need is:
- a cardboard letter of your choice. You can find these for very cheap ($1-$3) at almost any craft store. I got mine at Hobby Lobby and used my 40% off coupon so I got it for next to nothing. You can also get a letter made out of wood, paper mache, or styrofoam. Any of these will work depending on your preference. Since you are covering it with yarn you won't be able to tell what it is made out of. If you want the letter to be able to stand on its own, I would suggest a cardboard, foam, or paper mache letter vs. a wood one.
- hot glue gun (oh and scissors!)
- yarn of your color choice. I went with a bright-mustardy color since it fits in with Fall, Spring, and Summer decor. 


First you need to cover the edges of the letter where you won't be wrapping yarn. Simply cut small strips of yarn and glue them on.  Make sure to leave a little extra on both ends so you can glue it to the sides as well.



Then you simply keep wrapping with yarn! I ended up wrapping most of one side then unwrapping it and re-wrapping it in a different direction. I chose to make my letter not look so symmetrical. I liked the "messy" look of it better.


Once I had completely wrapped all the surfaces of the letter, I just wrapped around the entire thing in a criss-cross fashion.


When done, just use a dab of hot glue to secure the yarn to the back or bottom of the letter.


Voila!  A cute statement piece for any home decor!


What I love about this project is that it's so versatile and easy. You could also wrap yarn around letters to spell an entire name, a special word, or wrap yarn around a foam wreath (I think I might try that one).
This would also look really cute in a baby nursery. Or it could be a great wedding or baby gift!

Every letter will be different. You may find that wrapping yarn around an "L" or an "O" is easier than say an "E" or a "Q".



 Let me know what other ideas you've come up with that are yarn-inspired!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...